Blueberries are in season, and when they are in season they are GOOD! I am not the biggest blueberry fan. In fact, up until a few years ago, I pretty much hated them. They were the fruit I threw in the garden when my grandma wasn’t looking because she put them in her fruit salad and I disliked the taste that much!
So, when my friend suggested blueberry picking a few years ago, I was skeptical because I knew how much I really did not like them. However, because of her son, I went. After picking the first one, I was happy we decided to go and was hooked on farm fresh, organic blueberries, however not a fan of the store bought ones.
I realized the difference between the two- one being from the supermarket and one being from a farm- the pesticides on the blueberries from the store must have made them taste differently to me. Blueberries have 52 known pesticides on them including Carcinogens, Hormone disruptors, and others. If there are 52 known pesticides, I am sure there are many more that are unknown.
When buying organic and local, not only am I helping out the farm that I am purchasing them from, but I am also helping my body by eating organic foods without all the pesticides that will kill my body, and taste buds.
Now that I do like blueberries, we went blueberry picking again this past Monday and we picked only 7 pounds of blueberries! Yes- 7 pounds! I did have to put a bunch in my freezer so they would not all go bad!
Not only do they taste good, they are very beneficial to the body-
– Packed with vitamin C, E, B2, Niacin, and Folate
– Phytonutrient Quercetin can reduce severity of allergies when eaten continuously day to day
– Contains minerals such as Iron, Magnesium, and Potassium
– Contains Salicylic Acid- which helps with thinning of the blood and reduces pain making it a natural form of aspirin.
– Rich in Proanthocyanidins which can help decrease wrinkling and disease associated with aging.
– Because of Catechins that are found in blueberries, which activate fat burning cells, they can aid in weight loss, especially belly fat surrounding the abdominals.
Blueberries are good for the body, for the skin, and most of all your taste buds! Do yourself a favor and pick up some organic blueberries today from your local farm or farmer’s market- I promise, you will not be sorry!
Eat them from your hands, with some yogurt, in a smoothie, or even add them to your favorite salad!
When you know what you are eating, your body will thank you!