As everyone knows, I have had a sweet tooth for the last nine months. My best friend sent me a link last weekend of healthy brownie bites, and me being the health crazed person I am read the ingredients, health-ified it even more and made them for myself and husband for this week. OMG- They were delish.
The sweet potato adds a sweetness to it so you do not need as much sugar as you would in normal brownies, and it makes it healthier so you do not have to feel guilty when you eat more than one!
The original recipe can be found here.
- 1 large sweet potato- I do not recommend microwaving- steam or bake it. It does take a little bit longer, but it is better for you, and will add to the flavor!
- 1/3 cup hot coffee- Freshly brewed
- 1/3 cup mini peanut butter chips to give it a chocolate peanut butter taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil- melted
- 4 tablespoons of applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar – Brown sugar can be just as bad as white sugar, and coconut sugar can actually keep blood sugar levels stable rather than spike it up which causes you to crash later on
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour- Bob’s Red Mill
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350-
Bake Sweet potato until soft. Scoop out one cup of flesh and put to the side
Pour hot coffee over the peanut butter chips and stir until completely melted in a small bowl
Does not show coffee
In a large bowl- combine the sweet potato, coconut oil, applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Stir to combine. Then add the chocolate coffee mixture to the sweet potato mixture and mix well.
In a another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. Add mixture to the sweet potato mixture and stir just to combine.
Using mini cupcake tin, fill 3/4 and bake for 8 minutes.
I added chocolate chips (Enjoy Life- which are allergy friendly) and peanut butter chips on top before baking to add some flavor!
(I changed the recipe to make it Healthy Living with Alix approved, but the directions have stayed the same from the recipe above)
This is a perfect dessert for the Super Bowl, or any other winter get together. Or just a yummy, healthy treat to enjoy during the cold winter months!